The Code: having a "Caledonian Highland Fling"

General Discussion, Not necessarily related to Bloodbowl
drusus82
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
Favourite Race: Human

The Code: having a "Caledonian Highland Fling"

Post by drusus82 »

Welcome to the code: Having a "Caledonian Highland Fling". In this season we follow the trials and tribulations of a rookie band of Halflings as they take part in one of the best leagues in the country. Forming from the remnants of the 2011 "Caledonians" that took part in the QNKBBL Xmas Cup and finished with an impress 1/1/1 record the "Caledonian Highland Flings managed to secure the services of coach Drusus who lead them through the Xmas Cup before returning to the SLOBB competition.

The Caledonians will be a far cry from Drusus's previous team the Rebels who have after coming through the rookie ranks with an unimpressive 3/4/8 record stormed to third place in the slack jacks division, the so called group of death/Redcard's lament, in the Virral periscope of doom. A 3/1/2 season could have finished better if not for the untimely death of Drapht.

In this episode we will delve into the reasons that coach Drusus walked away from the Rebels for a bunch of stout loving Halflings and preview the first match against the dastardly Bluebeard's Buccaneers coach by Rabid Bogscum.

I'm Tommy Raudorkis lets have a Caledonian Highland Fling

Tommy Raudorkis : Welcome Drusus many fans want to know why you walked away from the Rebels and took up with such a challenging team?
Drusus: Well Tommy, first up it is a pleasure to be here and of such interest to the fans. Myself and the Rebels split on amicable terms, they might still be looking the word up though, and I look forward to working with them in the future. The Rebels decided to return to the wastes to rebuild after the last season and that meant finding a new gig in the mean time. The gruel the Rebels were serving up wasn't the greatest either and everyone knows the flings are the best cooks around

TR: As an ork they make a pretty good snack themselves?
D: *Laughs* Well the Rebels have put in an order themselves

TR: So first stunty coach in the SLOBB premier, how does that feel?
D: Actually the second, Ooze took charge of some goblins for a couple of games so I'm aiming to be the first to complete the season which I think will be an achievement in itself so bring it on.

TR: Some are saying that the death of Drapht was the final straw for the Rebels tenuous relationship?
D : While Drapht was a future star that Nuffle took way to early I think the problem was not the egos but the inability to change tactics. Not having a go to man this season will be a nice change and some of the flings will be lucky to see out a match, so new treats every week.

TR: Thoughts on your first game?
D : The Buccaneers will be a handful but we will be bringing in some big names so we can go toe to toe with the Blue Pearl. Would be nice if the refs caught it before it reached the field but that isn't going to happen with the current crop.

TR: So Deeproot and Morg?
D : Yeah we need to bring something of a spectacle to the pitch make an immediate impact in a crowded market and two of the biggest names will do that.

TR Thanks for your time Drusus

Well there you have it folks Morg 'n' Thorg and Deeproot Strongbranch are confirmed for the Caledonians first match but it may not be enough to tame the Buccaneers. The Buccaneers are sporting block almost across the roster, tackle being close behind and a few guards making life difficult for the flings. The real danger player is Corsair though, Some say he has more than a bit of elf in him, but he firmly states he is all dwarf down to his stones. Coach Rabid Bogscum always finds himself in the mix come finals and some say favourable draws for the Commissioner play their part but he certainly has the tactical nous to beat the flings. My prediction The Buccaneers by a brace and a handful of casualties.
Until next time sports fans remember block more linesman!

D_Arquebus
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: SLOBB + SWL

Re: The Code: having a "Caledonian Highland Fling"

Post by D_Arquebus »

Noice! :D
NAF Regional Tourney Organiser (Oz/ NZ)

13th Worldwide to 24 Teams :)

Results by Team: Play the 24+2 :)
Sport: Necro, Ogre
Painted: 24hr Painting Challenge
Wins: 15/26 Teams (enjoyin the 26)
Podiums: 25/26

www.ausbowl.com or Ausbowl (FB) - Oz BB
NZ Blood Bowl Community (FB) - NZ BB

Rabid_Bogscum
Frank N Stein
Frank N Stein
BB League: SLOBB
Favourite Race: Skaven

Post by Rabid_Bogscum »

Love it O0
NAF VP
ATC Champions '12, '16, '18
NSW State Rep '11, '13, '15 (Champs), '17 (Champs)

Champion: Leviathan '08, Euc Bowl '08 & '18, Sandgroper V, SSB '11, Dragon Bowl '12, TSP '13, GOM '13, Gosford Gauntlet '14, Jokerbowl '15, MOAB '16, Cancon '17, NSW Open '19, Nuffles Bash at the Beach '20

Cannoneer
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem
BB League: MBBL
Favourite Race: Dark Elf

Post by Cannoneer »

nice work, a fun read

thank you

Mathfuric
Werewolf
Werewolf
Favourite Race: Pro Elf

Post by Mathfuric »

You are as always full of class Drusus ;D

Great read, now just punish those Dwarves (who some how got into an agile based conference?)

Rabid_Bogscum
Frank N Stein
Frank N Stein

Post by Rabid_Bogscum »

Oh my...... :(
NAF VP

Champion: Leviathan '08, Euc Bowl '08 & '18, Sandgroper V, SSB '11, Dragon Bowl '12, TSP '13, GOM '13, Gosford Gauntlet '14, Jokerbowl '15, MOAB '16, Cancon '17, NSW Open '19, Nuffles Bash at the Beach '20

drusus82
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by drusus82 »

In this episode of the code we follow the Caledonian Highland flings as they travel down to the big smoke to the neutral Good Games City Arena for their inaugural match. Bolstered by the sheer impressiveness of the forward line the teams wagons feel more like a midsummer feast rather than a focused team with a big match to play. Asked what was going to be a highlight of the coming match coach Drusus recommended the sticky buns before heading down the tunnel with Morg and Deeproot.

Next up we will recap the highlights and lowlights of the match, I'm Tommy Raudorkis lets have a Caledonian Highland Fling
Welcome sports fans to Good Games City arena for this the first match for the Caledonian Highland Flings against Bluebeard's Buccaneers. The Buccaneers have had 20,000 fans follow them to the stadium for the start of the Bone Idlers division of the SLOBB Shield, whilst 7,000 said they came for the flings, I see most want to see a good dismembering of the boys in green and white through. The coin goes up and the Buccaneers have won the toss, Coach Rabid Bogscum indicates they will receive under fine skies.

The flings cooking seems to have had no effect on the scavvy sea dogs and they look full of confidence as the kick goes long and high giving Corsair plenty of time to get under the ball. The early kick off, which meant the flings had to miss elevensies has put a real fire in the belly of the stars who have joined the flings as Morg breaks the collar bone of Bogwash and Black Bart picks up a niggling injury at the hands of Deeproot in the opening skirmishes. Ivan the insane tries to fight back but he can't summon the dauntless courage he is renowned for and nothing comes of it. Morg retaliates the only way he knows how and Brawlin' Bruce is also off with a niggling injury

The Buccaneers reduce the player imbalance when Hank clean takes of the head of poor unfortunate Smack, Well he certainly lived up to his name! Tickle the treeman has become rooted to the spot half way into the half but the dwarfs are slowly making headway and keeping numbers together. Approaching 3/4 time in the first half Deeproot crushes poor Knuckle sandwich and Rabid Bogscum is caught on Cabalvision Saying it is a blessing that he now doesn't have to make the weakling redundant, that will be little comfort to his family. Rembrandt for the Buccaneers hits back with a hit on Hump that sees him out of the game but the drive has stalled, or they are stalling it is hard to tell with the dwarves, and here Comes Morg pressuring Corsair who trips trying to dodge away close to the line with the clock ticking away and the Buccaneers are unable to regather and have fumbled the ball as the Siren wails for half time and the flings are miraculously still in this match at nil all.

The Buccaneers come back onto the pitch and even the sticky buns won't temp them, maybe they will enjoy the blizzard that has hit the stadium as the kick is taken. Morg 'n' Thorg has gathered the ball while Deeproot, Slap and Tickle inch the flings down the pitch. Oh the flings drive has stalled just passed half way but Deeproot has cleared the line of dwarves as we clock over the half way point of the half and Morg is back off and running.

Anchor has knocked the poor defenceless knee deep about knee deep into the astrogranite and he won't be back this game.
Morg is confronted with two dwarves but blitzes away from one and Coach Drusus is seen nodding to the stands as a lightning bolt strikes down Corsair allowing Morg to push off a defender and stroll it in with only a quarter of the half to go.
And the flings kick off and catch the Buccaneers flat footed and we see a fling flung but he can't stick his landing and the blitz comes to nothing. Morg is surging forward to pressure the ball carrier while the dwarves have pushed 3 forward looking for an equaliser. Oh dear trying to dodge away and he has put the ball on the pitch Morg gathers and runs deep one desperate play left for Rabid Bogscum his dwarf comes in and can only push Morg backwards and....

THE FLINGS WIN! THE FLINGS WIN! I CAN"T BELIEVE IT HAS TO BE THE UPSET OF THE SEASON, MAYBE EVEN SLOBB HISTORY.

Let's see what the coaches had to say after the match:

Tommy Raudorkis First up Rabid thoughts on the match and where to from here
Rabid Bogscum Well Tommy what can I say Knuckle is the lucky one he can't die of shame at the result the rest of us not so much. We just look to our next opponents but frankly a few of my players are going to be keel hauled before then. *storms off into the blizzard gaff in hand*

TR Coach Drusus how does it feel to get the win?
Drusus Well Tom I think that qualifies this season a success we really rode our luck right to the end but Morg and Deeproot really went all in for the team.

TR First win by a stunty team in SLOBB premier how does that feel?
D Is going to be hard to beat mate, and frankly I wouldn't begrudge the boys if they didn't try but I hear Norlanders XI are angling for a match so will try and get the boys up for a match that isn't so well armoured before dealing with Corsairs cousin in the Elven teams

Well that is all we have time for so until next time sports fans remember block more linesman!
Last edited by drusus82 on Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rabid_Bogscum
Frank N Stein
Frank N Stein

Post by Rabid_Bogscum »

good stuff mate but I noticed one inaccuracy.. Morg never did knock over Corsair.. it was the only thing I was doing right in the drive keeping myself free from a Blitz. He manned up on him and Corsair failed his 2+ rerolled dodge :(
NAF VP

drusus82
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by drusus82 »

Cheers mate fixed now. The wonders of writing it about 8 hours after it happened and dealing with tyre replairers, National Parks and Wildlife and then Judo training.

drusus82
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by drusus82 »

In this episode of the code we follow the Caledonian Highland flings as they train for a tricky fixture against a team of leaping lizards and then return to the big smoke to the neutral Good Games Town Hall Dome for their Second match.

I'm Tommy Raudorkis lets have a Caledonian Highland Fling

We rejoin the plucky Halflings and the stalwart treeman in their private Narara Valley retreat where no expense is being spared to give the Halflings the freshest produce to gorge themselves on while Slap and Tickle are given a steady stream of A grade manure to pep them up. Coach Drusus calls the troops together and welcomes a couple of new recruits to the team, which we get the impression will become a regular part of team training camps.

Drusus Okay lads good work on the new custard tarts they were spectacular last night and your cider is really coming along, welcome to the newbies we all look forward to your specialties and as we say around these parts variety is the spice of life. The bad news is our next opponents are the long legged court outsiders, so we need to work on the agility sticks {cue collective groans from the Halflings} also remember to take the ankles out.

The coach worked hard with the trees and pointed out a few things that Deeproot did that slap and tickle could add to the skill set, mainly the breaking armour with a deft flick in the joints. practising on a number of scavenged pieces of dwarven padding Tickle seems to get the hang of it in no time but slap is still struggling as the game fast approaches.

Game day dawns and Deeproot is warmly welcomed back into the change rooms along with a new star to keep things fresh in the form of Zara the slayer. Unfortunately for the flings Shinny simmer of the court offsiders scores an early touchdown before the flings can really get going. Nail is soon out for the match but after seeing one too many of the treeman's training sessions Hump lands a solid hit on Heel Tripper and that lizard will miss the next game. Unfortunately the flings are disposed and High Stepper gets the offsiders second touchdown. Tickle finally gets his groove on and lands a solid blow that may well have killed Scintillating Slipper but that was the last real action of the half from the flings.

After the Half time Cheesecake the flings come out into the sweltering heat that has settled around the area. This does not bode well for the portly team and probably plays well into the topical lizards but the flings don't give up easily. Tickle once again puts the fear into the lizard by badly hurting Hoppy toad who won't be back today. Screwed and hump quickly follow him as players not returning for the rest of the afternoon and the flings ranks are slowly thinning. Surprising Plow follows Hump's earlier example and puts Shiny Shimmer out of the game, but eventually the Slann run in the final touchdown for the day and put paid to a fairly uninspiring Caledonian team.

Let's see what the coaches had to say after the match:

Tommy Raudorkis First up D-arquebus thoughts on the match and where to from here

D_ArquebusWell Tommy it was a solid victory for the lads today, but can't discredit the flings more competent teams struggle with the court offsiders cage breaking but it is nice not to end the same way as Rabid Bogscum's lot.

TR Still came at a loss though didn't it?

D_A Yeah a dead catcher and a Blitzer out for the next game should have had more chaff but lesson learnt.

TR Coach Drusus how disappointed with the loss?

Drusus Well Tom I think that is closer to what people expect from us but still some positives to take out of it. Tickle is proving that he could well be a Deeproot in the making and even Plow and Hump laid some bash on those pesky Slann.

TRSo how do you plan to turn it around next time?

D Is going to be hard most of the other teams are going to be doing their best to dance away from the trees but I think the main focus will be mixing up the deserts which is our strength.

Well that is all we have time for so until next time sports fans remember block more linesman!

D_Arquebus
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by D_Arquebus »

Nice work again Drusus :)
D_A Yeah a dead catcher and a Blitzer out for the next game should have had more chaff but lesson learnt.
Though I'm not sure I'd want my boys watching your news feed. I value each and every one of the little cherubs... ;) :P

drusus82
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by drusus82 »

D_Arquebus wrote: Though I'm not sure I'd want my boys watching your news feed. I value each and every one of the little cherubs... ;) :P
Pfft you just need to be a bit more savvy in your post match interviews then ;) :P

D_Arquebus
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by D_Arquebus »

**B_U_M_P**

I know these plucky little chaps have played at least one more fixture Dru..... ;) :P

Rabid_Bogscum
Frank N Stein
Frank N Stein

Post by Rabid_Bogscum »

ha ha good call that... we demand a bulletin
NAF VP