The Future

Rabid_Bogscum
Frank N Stein
Frank N Stein
BB League: SLOBB
Favourite Race: Skaven

The Future

Post by Rabid_Bogscum »

I heard some good words about the trophies etc.

Would people be happy to see this tournament continue into future years perhaps in the March calendar slot. Obviously I have graphics for the trophies already setup so it would be easy enough to keep reproducing prizes for this one.

Are people happy to see a tournament where the expenses come from really nice looking trophies rather than minis, board games etc?
Commish of SLOBB
ATC Champions 2012, 2016, 2018
NSW State Rep 2011, 2013, 2015 (Champs), 2017 (Champs)

Champion: Leviathan '08, Eucalyptus Bowl 4, Sandgroper V, Southern Shrike Bowl 4, Dragon Bowl, TSP '13, GOM '13, Gosford Gauntlet '14, Jokerbowl '15, MOAB '16, Cancon '17, Eucalyptus Bowl 14

Devilsreject
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: BABBL
Favourite Race: Pro Elf

The Future

Post by Devilsreject »

yeah i would prefer smick trophys. most people have plenty of minis. maybe a mix would be optimal?

http://www.plork.org/canetoadcup - Keep up to date on all things Cane Toad!

hammer
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: T.S.P.
Favourite Race: Undead

The Future

Post by hammer »

I might be biased, but I would love to see this one stay on the calendar. I'm chuffed with the trophy, and it's going on display - not something I would have done with a miniature !

SinisterDexter
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: PWND
Favourite Race: Human

The Future

Post by SinisterDexter »

If it does go ahead, would people be interested to have it "link" to the SA Open and AusBowl?

What I am thinking is some form of linked feed between each of them (and possibly between any other state that also wants to hold one). So we could see six concurrent "Opens" and the AusBowl! Between each round there could be contact across the tournaments via email/phone (or maybe, given technological assistance and costings, video link) and an update of both the local results and the "overall" results as well as the "AusBowl" results. There could be trophies for the winners in each state as well as a series of trophies that cross all boundaries (1, 2 and 3 probably won't hold much meaning without head-to-head games occurring, but maybe most dangerous (most CAS), most profligate (most TDs), toughest (least CAS conceded), best defence (least TDs conceded), etc).

At this stage I honestly don't know if we could even pull something like that off, but I figure if we truly want to make this the biggest and best Australian-based event possible, if we could run such a thing it would be truly magnificent!

The biggest issue I can see would be, simply, that the players most likely to run such a thing have a strong chance of being interstate at the AusBowl itself. So it may require someone in each locale who wouldn't normally run tournaments to step up.

Anyone have any other thoughts?
Check out the Adeleague at www.adeleague.weebly.com
Open format, progression style tournament for Adelaide based coaches.

Rabid_Bogscum
Frank N Stein
Frank N Stein
BB League: SLOBB
Favourite Race: Skaven

The Future

Post by Rabid_Bogscum »

that and I would prefer people travel.

I want the AusBowl to feel inclusive and I feel it was a mistake of mine to initially bow to the majority that didnt want to give too much credence to the side tournament or individual ausbowl tournament and encouraged me to remove it from the main tournament to an extent. As ive said elsewhere im encouraged by all the talk of people coming over to SA to play the side tournament if they dont make their teams, its something myself and a few of the NSW guys would probably do anyway, but its nice to see we are not in the minority there. In truth it wouldnt be a bad thing for there to be a massive turnover in the reps for each team, because I think youd get heaps of this years players coming over just to be part of it. Which is exactly what I wanted.
Commish of SLOBB
ATC Champions 2012, 2016, 2018
NSW State Rep 2011, 2013, 2015 (Champs), 2017 (Champs)

Champion: Leviathan '08, Eucalyptus Bowl 4, Sandgroper V, Southern Shrike Bowl 4, Dragon Bowl, TSP '13, GOM '13, Gosford Gauntlet '14, Jokerbowl '15, MOAB '16, Cancon '17, Eucalyptus Bowl 14

SinisterDexter
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: PWND
Favourite Race: Human

The Future

Post by SinisterDexter »

Yes, I agree Rabid, and I really want to see the "Open" spotlighted. You are also right that it might discourage people from travelling. I guess we skirt the line between trying to include as many people as possible, and trying to get as many people as possible in one place.

I'm undecided.

With my performance this year though I would say my position in the actual SA team is most in doubt, so I may have extra time to devote to this! :)
Check out the Adeleague at www.adeleague.weebly.com
Open format, progression style tournament for Adelaide based coaches.

azza
Rookie
Rookie
BB League: SVBBL
Favourite Race: Dwarf

Re: The Future

Post by azza »

Great trophies are the best prize you can get (or they are to me). Good job Rabid you get my next 10 +1 karma... not that it will help much...
Now back to trolling
Also the dog tags are fantastic and a good idea for people who prepay as then they can have a name tag(as this can be done before the event) and a ranking tag (assigned on the day)

ksharper
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: MBBL
Favourite Race: Chaos Dwarf

The Future

Post by ksharper »

I thought that Ausbowl 1 worked out really well. Like you all mentioned, i'd love to see the Open part more encouraged, with a much bigger group playing. Maybe promote it with something like "Play for state pride, or play for personal pride". I noticed alot of NSW regulars not in attendance, which i thought was unfortunate.

I also prefer trophy's and awards over mini's personally. I am always happy to buy mini's and such, but think that a trophy is invaluable, and something to go in the cabinet for display.

One thing i think would be a great idea then, though, if we aren't seeing any/many prizes, is maybe a special prize for the best placed 'new' coach (never played a tournament before). Maybe the TO keeps 1 team as a prize, and if we don't get any new coaches, keep it for next time. I think its a great way for new coaches to be encouraged to try new teams/keep playing and attending.

With possible opens in each state, that would make it very hard for me personally, i'd be torn between travelling to the ausbowl (actual or open), and staying back to support our home open tournament.

Champion - WAACY 2009, Blocktober 2010, Eucbowl 2014, Mayhem on Malop 2015, Ironman 2016, SSB 2016

Miyuso
Flesh Golem
Flesh Golem
Favourite Race: Nurgle's Rotters

Re: The Future

Post by Miyuso »

[quote=""SinisterDexter""] Between each round there could be contact across the tournaments via email/phone (or maybe, given technological assistance and costings, video link) and an update of both the local results and the "overall" results as well as the "AusBowl" results. [/quote]

Now that made me think "Wouldn't it be awesome to organise a live feed of the Table 1 game in each Tie? Website with say NSWvACT streaming, SAvWA and VICvQLD so that anyone back home can log in, watch, and want to come to the next one
[quote=""Greyhound""]I like the fact that we don't know which faction is the majority by the way. Are we all pretending to be Good or Evil?[/quote]
Miyuso falls to his knees and takes the top of his skull off and starts to rummage around inside
BOOM!
A cloud of dust is all that remains after the explosion, Miyuso is no more . . .