Total votes: 16

Olaf_the_Stout
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: Adeleague
Favourite Race: Norse

Re: NSW Open 2012

Post by Olaf_the_Stout »

Oh, and happy to hear you think we've hit a happy medium Grumpsh. :)

Olaf the Stout
Southern Shrike Bowl 2018 - 20/21 October

Real Blood Bowlers take the Skull!

tribalsinner
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: SWL
Favourite Race: Human

Post by tribalsinner »

Good job gnome.

Well run rabid.

Good times.

See.everyone at jokerbowl!!

Olaf_the_Stout
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Olaf_the_Stout »

How many people? How did the chess clocks go? Did Tribal take his turns in less than 30 mins?

Olaf the Stout

Rabid_Bogscum
Frank N Stein
Frank N Stein
BB League: SLOBB
Favourite Race: Skaven

Post by Rabid_Bogscum »

I'll post up info tonight mate
Commish of SLOBB
ATC Champions 2012, 2016, 2018
NSW State Rep 2011, 2013, 2015 (Champs), 2017 (Champs)

Champion: Leviathan '08, Eucalyptus Bowl 4, Sandgroper V, Southern Shrike Bowl 4, Dragon Bowl, TSP '13, GOM '13, Gosford Gauntlet '14, Jokerbowl '15, MOAB '16, Cancon '17, Eucalyptus Bowl 14

Virral
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: ACTBBL
Favourite Race: Necromantic

Post by Virral »

Olaf_the_Stout wrote:How many people? How did the chess clocks go? Did Tribal take his turns in less than 30 mins?

Olaf the Stout
Tribal ended at least one game with 36 minutes on the clock, so he played his part in under half an hour
Nothing to see here!

Olaf_the_Stout
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Olaf_the_Stout »

That's insane! That's roughly 10 seconds to resolve an action for every player every turn for the entire game!

Olaf the Stout

tribalsinner
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: SWL
Favourite Race: Human

Post by tribalsinner »

I think I ended up with 36, 34 and 29 on the clock left from each of my 3 games.

Babs
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: ccbbl
Favourite Race: Dark Elf

Post by Babs »

Had a lot of fun, and my game against virral will be memorable for years to come.

I'm quite pleased that I didn't ruin my dark elf ranking with two wins and two draws. I also thought 5th place was respectable given the field.

I seem to have some kind of mojo on Thomsy, beating him the last 3 times we've played. Just don't ask about Doubleskulls on me. :-)
=-) Babs.
Rusty Old Timer, recently returned.
Ex BBRC Member and Ex NAF guy for Oz/Nz.

Babs
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: ccbbl
Favourite Race: Dark Elf

Post by Babs »

Oh - and the chess clocks were, quite simply, brilliant.

I loved being able to manage my own time, no rounds going overtime, yet being able to take 6 minutes for a key turn if I needed to.

With 1 hour and 5 minutes per coach, there was enough time on the clock to allow kickoffs in your time allocation, have a little idle chat, and still play the game succinctly. The clocks added just a little pressure on time, which, in my opinion, adds to the 'vibe' of the games.

If I was at a tournament and they were optional, I'd be pushing for them on my table for every round - and I probably wouldn't get many complaints given my reputation! :)
=-) Babs.
Rusty Old Timer, recently returned.
Ex BBRC Member and Ex NAF guy for Oz/Nz.

Virral
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: ACTBBL
Favourite Race: Necromantic

Post by Virral »

They were good and all games ran to time, but i would like to see what happens when someone runs out of time.
Nothing to see here!

gumbi
Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior
Favourite Race: Underworld

Post by gumbi »

lolvenom wrote:If MB was a race then he'd of taken it. Instead he had to take dwarves.
What do people think is the best counter to MB heavy teams? Zombie Apoc? :P

Junior
Veteran Beastman
Veteran Beastman
Favourite Race: Goblin

Post by Junior »

All Snots...spam stuff that a wimp could get through without MB, so that MB is a waste of cash.
Then again, did you want a team that worked, or a team that pissed of the MB'er? :D

Jnr

Mathfuric
Werewolf
Werewolf
Favourite Race: Pro Elf

Post by Mathfuric »

Cheers for the day Boggy very enjoyable.

Thanks to those I played each game was fun and challenging, I will get my revenge on you Hutchie ;)

Olaf_the_Stout
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Olaf_the_Stout »

Babs wrote:Had a lot of fun, and my game against virral will be memorable for years to come.
Come on Babs, you can't just leave it at that! :)

Olaf the Stout

lolvenom
Star Player
Star Player
Favourite Race: Ogre

Post by lolvenom »

gumbi wrote:What do people think is the best counter to MB heavy teams? Zombie Apoc? :P
Aside from how the game went for me I would really like to know the answer to this. I'm not sure anyone has it since Gnome ended up 4-0 :)

Running away would seem like the best bet. Get a high AG team and the ability to roll 2+'s regularly.

Rabid_Bogscum
Frank N Stein
Frank N Stein
Favourite Race: Skaven

Post by Rabid_Bogscum »

Yeah I think elves might have a chance... hell I was unlucky not to be 2-0 up before I was pitch cleared
Commish of SLOBB
ATC Champions 2012, 2016, 2018
NSW State Rep 2011, 2013, 2015 (Champs), 2017 (Champs)

Champion: Leviathan '08, Eucalyptus Bowl 4, Sandgroper V, Southern Shrike Bowl 4, Dragon Bowl, TSP '13, GOM '13, Gosford Gauntlet '14, Jokerbowl '15, MOAB '16, Cancon '17, Eucalyptus Bowl 14

Olaf_the_Stout
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Olaf_the_Stout »

I think that is part of the reason why I hate Dwarves. They start with so much Block, have AV9 almost across the board and then have Thick Skull on top of that. So it is hard to knock them over, difficult to get through armour, and then when you finally manage to do that, they can still avoid more KO's than your average player.

The biggest disadvantage for a Dwarf team with just MB as skill ups is a lack of Guard. So you should be able to outmuscle them with most non-AG teams. Use your Guard and/or higher Strength to get as many 2d hits on them as possible. AG teams should obviously just dodge away and minimise any hits to just the Blitz if possible.

The other thing I would try and do is make them play close together, especially if you have Guard and they don't. Normally when I play against Dwarves they have a lot of Guard, so you want to spread them out so they can't take advantage of it. However, a Dwarf team with MB only means that they can't get 2d Blocks without assists.

If you can put tackle zones on their players, or position yourself so that they can't get assists you force them to make 1d Blocks. Meanwhile, your Guard/higher ST players will still likely get 2d Blocks in return. Any hits you do take could still hurt though so it is a balancing act.

Olaf the Stout

D_Arquebus
2011 Legend
2011 Legend
BB League: SLOBB + SWL

Post by D_Arquebus »

I think Orcs would be able to have a Bash. As Olaf says the lack of Guard means the ST4 would start to tell.

Or an elf team/ maybe Slaan. They can move away from the MB, and attack the weak spots. Get 2-0 up early and play a delaying game for the rest of it.

Or even Norse or something. Just be extra scrupulous about knocking back and not following up. Allow them only 1 blitz per turn.

The natural enemy of Dwarves (CLPOMB) is obviously not an option, so I think speed and just ST applied to push them around. Oh, and dice that roll lots of 10s and 11s without the need for MB (looking at you Virral :P )
NAF Regional Tourney Organiser (Oz/ NZ)

13th Worldwide to 24 Teams :)

Results by Team: Play the 24+2 :)
Sport: Necro, Ogre
Painted: 24hr Painting Challenge
Wins: 15/26 Teams (enjoyin the 26)
Podiums: 25/26

www.ausbowl.com or Ausbowl (FB) - Oz BB
NZ Blood Bowl Community (FB) - NZ BB

Olaf_the_Stout
2011 Legend
2011 Legend

Post by Olaf_the_Stout »

D_Arquebus wrote:I think Orcs would be able to have a Bash. As Olaf says the lack of Guard means the ST4 would start to tell.

Or an elf team/ maybe Slaan. They can move away from the MB, and attack the weak spots. Get 2-0 up early and play a delaying game for the rest of it.

Or even Norse or something. Just be extra scrupulous about knocking back and not following up. Allow them only 1 blitz per turn.

The natural enemy of Dwarves (CLPOMB) is obviously not an option, so I think speed and just ST applied to push them around. Oh, and dice that roll lots of 10s and 11s without the need for MB (looking at you Virral :P )
Norse aren't really ideal for dealing with a MB heavy Dwarf team. The Block on the Dwarves means that the Norse will have a bit more trouble knocking them over. Norse generally don't have room for Guard on their team either so no advantage there. They do have 2 x ST4 players, so that is a bit of advantage. The main trouble comes with AV7 and 4 x Frenzy players.

Frenzy is ok when you knock them down. However, if you don't you, Frenzy means that you are forced to stand next to a Block MB Dwarf player with AV7 (AV8 if it is an Ulfwerener). Not ideal. It is still doable, but you just have to try and make sure that you position yourself to deal with return hits if you don't knock the Dwarves over with your Frenzy players.

Olaf the Stout

lolvenom
Star Player
Star Player
Favourite Race: Ogre

Post by lolvenom »

Olaf_the_Stout wrote:Norse aren't really ideal for dealing with a MB heavy Dwarf team. The Block on the Dwarves means that the Norse will have a bit more trouble knocking them over. Norse generally don't have room for Guard on their team either so no advantage there. They do have 2 x ST4 players, so that is a bit of advantage. The main trouble comes with AV7 and 4 x Frenzy players.

Frenzy is ok when you knock them down. However, if you don't you, Frenzy means that you are forced to stand next to a Block MB Dwarf player with AV7 (AV8 if it is an Ulfwerener). Not ideal. It is still doable, but you just have to try and make sure that you position yourself to deal with return hits if you don't knock the Dwarves over with your Frenzy players.

Olaf the Stout
Yes, this. Not enough AV to stand up to them, not enough ST to knock them down, and not enough AG to run away! Dwarves are never an ideal draw for Norse, but a team like that is just another step further removed from the ideal.